The jade plant is one of the most popular indoor plants available today. There are two primary reasons for the popularity of this plant. The first one is because it is quite beautiful and it looks good in any indoor setting and the second one is because it is very easy to grow. These two factors are the main reasons why jade plants can be in homes where plants play an important role.
As I have mentioned it is quite easy to care for the jade plants. There are just some basic requirements that has to be met. Here are some tips and ideas when caring for jade plants:
- Lighting- The jade plant needs a lot of light. You can even place it on the path of direct light if you can manage that, like on a window that faces east. If your jade plant seems like a little stunted and it is not growing properly then that might be because of lack of light. Try placing it on a different location where there is plenty of light.
- Temperature-Make sure that your jade plant is placed on a spot where it can get moderate temperatures that range from 50 degrees F to 75 degrees F. Jade plants are known to tolerate higher temperatures than that but it is going to be better if you maintain a steady and moderate environment for them. Doing so might elso help to encourage the plant to flower.
- Water- Jade plants do not need a lot of water, you only have to do that when the soil is very dry already. The plant needs less water during colder times. The problem is that you have to make sure that you water it because the tendency to forget to water it at all.
- Clay Pots- Clay pots are the most ideal places to plant jade plants. This is because the material absorbs water which can help to dry the plant when you water it. Once you notice that the leaves on your plant are turning soft then that is another sign that it is in need of water.
- Soil- For jade plant it is better that you use loose soil. Sandy soil is the best since that encourages the moisture to be drained right away and it does not encourage build-up of water. You should be aware by now that moisture is the number one enemy of this plant.
- Growth- If you want your plant to branch out it is best that you pinch new growth. That is the best practice to encourage it to branch out.
- Mealybugs- If there is one parasite that you have to be on the lookout for when you are growing jade plants then that is the mealy bug. Make sure that you remove them right away by the use of some insecticide. Just make sure that you take care of them.
These are just some of the things that ensures your jade plant is going to be okay and that it is going to grow in the proper manner.